Today has been a productive day. I have spun one of the three planned bobbins that I have planned for the fiber that I have combed out. Plus I have moved onto the second bobbin! I hope to have all three bobbins full and possibly plied by July 21st which is when I get together with all of my spinner friends to show off what I’ve been working on.
Well I’ve been busy. I started combing out my Bond fleece that I washed a couple of weeks ago. Tonite I finished what I had washed up, and my arms are tired! The problem now is that it’s too hot to wash more of the fleece.
On the nite of day 3, I finished spinning up both halves of my roving and started plying. I think by 1am the next day I finished plying. The next morning, I got it all wound up and the twist set. I decided that at one of my weekly knitting groups, I better get started on my combing. I had met with a friend the week before to get her expertise on whether or not I should brush or comb. I got more use of my fiber with less “pills” in the combed fiber.
Like I mentioned before, I finished combing up the washed fiber that I had, but I also used my drop spindle to make a swatch for my project. I think Reilly liked the drop spindle. This was the first time he’s seen me using it.
The project calls for a sport weight yarn, but I’m more used to spinning close to either fingering, DK, or worsted. Plus I wasn’t sure if I wanted to do a 2 or 3-ply. I like the look of a 3-ply, but wasn’t sure how the fibers would lay. I did a 2 ply, and after setting the twist it fluffed up quite a bitThe picture below shows my first time knitting with my own handspun yarn. Pretty cool, huh? I have to admit, my gauge was right on! I can’t wait to get to spinning it all up and starting the project, but I just wish my arms weren’t so sore.
My other knitting group meets tomorrow and I’m still trying to decide what I want to bring to work on. I still have xmas knitting projects to finish. I guess I’ll decide tomorrow morning. I think I’ll head to bed early tonite. I’ve been going to bed about 1am or later for the past couple of nites. My 2 week break is coming to an end this weekend. 😦
I think since my last spinning group, I have been on a fiber high. My non-LYS has a spinning group that meets on every third Tuesday, so that was a couple of weeks ago. I got to show off the fiber that I got from the Estes Park Wool Festival, plus I was almost done with spinning up half of a project that I started last month…I think it was last month. I decided that since Pueblo got a break from the triple digit heat that it would be a good time to start washing some of my fiber that evening before the predicted heat was supposed to return. That nite I started my cold soaks for my one pound CVM X Wenslydale/Lincoln fleece. I have to say that I kinda missed washing fleeces…which for those that don’t do the raw fleeces might find weird. (I know I did when I first started spinning.)
Once I got my first project cleaned up, I started on my second fleece…the Bond….Australian Bond. Hehe This is the fleece that I bought to work on during the Tour de Fleece on my big project. I didn’t wash all of it, but maybe a quarter to a fifth of the fleece. Ms. Gleason told me that I had to make sure to get the musky smell out to know that it was completely washed. I think I had it in my mind that I needed to do a few more washes then I did with the fleece before that. In the process, I think I partially felted some of it. 😦 I didn’t use a lingerie bag like I knew I should have. I had thought about it, but wasn’t quite sure where it was. For the remaining fleece, I will for sure be using a bag.
In between washes I made sure to be productive. I worked on finishing the project I was currently spinning. I had bought 4 oz of a Merino/Silk blend (80/20) a couple of years ago, but hadn’t thought about what to ply it with or what to do with it period. While spending time with Peggy and all of her amazing pieces of work, I found hand-dyed roving that matching the sherbet orange Merino/Silk that I already had. It had shades of yellow and orange and thought it would be perfect! I’m really happy with how it turned out. I spent a good part of a day plying. It came up to a little over 535 yds.
While spinning I had two good things going for me. Pride and Prejudice and beef jerky, which Reilly, my kitty loves also…the jerky that is.